, , ,

The Secret to Packing for a Weekend Getaway

08:01

denim12

denim10
denim8

denim3
denim11

denim15

denim9

denim1

DETAILS: LINEN BLAZER | WHITE BELL-SLEEVE BLOUSE | CUT-OFF SHORTS (RUN BIG – SIZE DOWN) | GLADIATOR SANDALS | CELINE BELT BAG | COLORBLOCKED STRAW HAT

Last month we took a surprise Father’s Day trip to Catalina and it has easily become one of my favorite spots in the US. It almost reminds me of Europe with all the boats anchored in the beautiful bay, and the colorful historic homes against the cliffs. 

Every time we go on a weekend getaway my husband asks – “Think you can get it all in a carry on?” I would think by now he knows there’s just no way. 😉 I like to change outfits and I like to have options, but I’ve also found the secret to not overpacking. The key is pack essentials, not outfits. Instead of packing specific outfits, stick to those key items (dress, shorts, blazer, etc.) that could be worn multiple times in multiple ways. Pack pieces in a unified color scheme so you can mix and match to get the most out of your valuable luggage space. There’s nothing worse than being stuck with an outfit you aren’t really feeling that day, but if you plan in terms of pieces and color schemes you have more options if one piece feels “off” that day.  Here are some of my essentials for a beach getaway.

  1. Sun hat – You can wear it with anything. I wore it to the beach, to lunch, and you can even dress it up with heels for dinner or a night exploring the island. It works with a sundress, cut-offs, and of course with your swimsuit and cover-up – there aren’t many outfits that a straw sun hat doesn’t work with. 
  2. Unexpected top – You don’t have to stick to tank tops for your summer getaway. I love this bell sleeve top – the sleeves are such a stunner and it’s a light, breathable flowy fabric so it’s a great option for summer. It is the perfect top to add with your cut-offs and gladiators for a more put-together look.
  3. Lightweight layer – I always bring a long sleeved lightweight layer, even on beach getaways. It seems like restaurants always have their AC blasting so an extra layer is a must for dining indoors or for those occasions that call for something a little more covered-up. This linen blazer from the Who What Wear collection at Target is perfect for a light layer at dinner but also doubles as a cute cover-up over your swimsuit – it’s breathable and over-sized so it has good movement which is exactly what you want on vacation. 
  4. Your favorite shorts – Think a cute pair of shorts that you can take from the sand to the street. I always opt for distressed denim because that’s my style but any sleek pair of shorts you feel good in must be packed.
  5. Gladiator sandals – You’ll want to live in sandals, but that doesn’t mean flip-flops are the only shoe that should make it into your suitcase. A gladiator sandal is another piece that can be worn dressed up or down so you can get plenty of wear out of it.
  6. Two bags –  I always bring an oversized tote for traveling. I take my Celine Belt bag everywhere- it’s the perfect size to fit everything in I’ll need for the flight, from magazines and my laptop to things for the kids. I also always pack a smaller, lightweight crossbody so when I get to my destination I don’t have to lug a lot around.

 

 

What are your favorite packing tips?

XX,

Christine

*In collaboration with Who What Wear.



source: Hello Fashion http://ift.tt/29REiZJ

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.